Hello, and Welcome to LilacsNDreams everyone! I researched some of our words we use for when it comes to the Homemade, Handmade, and Hand Altered too. Found it a bit interesting, and thought I would share since it does get questioned sometimes. I questioned it, read, and sharing with you all is so much easier to read, right?:)
Handmade is considered made, or prepared by hand rather than by a machine. Made by hand, or a hand process, and made by people using their hands. Individual pieces, or materials that compromise a finished item. Paint, wire, pieces combined to create a final item. Projects with a lot of hand work.
Hand Altered appeared to have a bit more suggested for it. Glue, Nail, Screw, Sew, Whittle, Affix, Staple, Embroider, Mix, Inscribe, Paint, Draw, Photograph, and so on. Any alteration, or embellishment to an item by hand, or by machine controlled by hand, or the traditional or craft method. Hand Altered can also be referred to as hand embellished, or hand assembled.
Homemade can be referred to pieces that are repurposed. I also seen it noted made, or prepared in the home, made by oneself, and crudely or simply made. Creative touches, quality supplies, ingredients.
So, why would we want to buy pieces like this? What makes these pieces desirable compared to new?
1) You find something unique. You are not wearing what everyone else is wearing. If you are one who likes to keep up with the trends of things you could fix it up with a one of a kind accent piece.
2) Super Craftsmanship for handmade items with individual care, some special attention, there is a focus with details, a quality control, and so on. Another thing is that there is no assembly line with some unskilled workers either.
3) Putting some money into good hands. When you pay the craftsman, or artist for their work they are actually the ones who get the profit from this. When you pay for this it is not for a CEO of some company, any of their overhead, and things like that. You also can improve the economy, and make a difference by shopping Handmade, Homemade, and Hand Altered.
4) Better Customer Service. That is something that we all are always wanting. Buying this way you also get individual attention from the seller too. Sometimes when you receive your products there might be a bit more personalization with it like having a handwritten thank you note, once in a while a seller might add some sort of gift with your purchase, etc. If for some reason you had an issue with the shipping, damages, some kind of mix up, maybe the item was faulty, it is almost always taken care of effectively. When you buy this way you could have a better chance of a refund, a replacement, or sometimes a return too. You will notice that these sort of issues happen less frequently due to the care, and the concern that the Seller strives for in having Happy Customers.
5) Go Green. These smaller scale operations will produce less waste, recycled materials are used, industrial salvage pieces, found objects, etc. Items could have gone to the landfills, but with these techniques they are spared, and used.
6) Get Custom Items and Alterations. It's kind of nice having things that were made for you. Pleasurable to receive one of a king items, and to help you complete some vision that you might have of something not out there yet too. Not to worry if you do not have the skill to make these things because there is someone out there that can do it.
8) Make Someone's Dream Come True. Many people dream about quitting their day job, becoming their own boss, and doing what they love to do, and doing it all day everyday too.
"Do What You Love, and the World Will Follow. . . . ."
Many categories fall beneath these topics mentioned. Vintage collectibles, home decor, clothing, jewelry, soaps, lotions, bath products, reused, housewares, glasswares, etc. They all have something that is in common. Start from scratch, or connect things and pieces making something for You.
There are some wonderful sellers out there who do some wonderful work. You can find them Online, Locally, sometimes Flea Markets, Craft Shows, and etc. When you can visit with them, see what they have to offer, do some early christmas shopping, find pieces for those special occasions, birthday gifts, adding to your home decor, and so on. Give them a try, and have fun with it too. There is much to see out there, and much to enjoy.
Thanks for sharing your time with LilacsNDreams. Come back to visit again soon. If you have anything you would like to share, or add to this I am happy to hear from you. Your comments are welcomed. Have a wonderful day!